Children have their bad days and their good days, as well as their extreme dramatic moments. The littlest things can set them off and they do not know how to regulate their emotions. As parents we try to do our best to help them. But, there is no guide to tell us how to be a good parent. We learn as we go. And wonder how do I calm my kid.
With that being said I will share just a few things that I tried that worked for me.
I struggle as a mom. I have short patience, a short temper, and easily emotional. So losing my cool is very easy when it comes to disciplining and communicating with my son. Again that may be true for many moms. My son is also extremely impatient, short tempered, and emotional just like me. So when he gets into a mood where he is upset because I don’t understand him or his feelings are hurt he will go through a major hysterical tantrum. Here are two things that I do with him to get him to calm down and feel like he is being heard.
Ways to Calm My Kid to Try
- Take a drink of water.
- Take a few deep breaths in and out with mommy.
- Give them a hug.
- Hold them and rock them.
- Remove them from whatever stimulation that has them upset to a calm, quiet area.
- Have them sit next to your or on the lap and have a small talk.
- Ask them to tell how they are feeling.
- Why or what caused him to feel that way?
- Figure out together how to fix the problem.
- Have them tell you what they want to eat.
- Let them pick out activities they want to do.
Now this works for me but maybe not for you. But give it a try. Letting your child know that you are willing to sit with them and hear about their feelings lets them know that you care about them. It’s small and simple but it made an impact in my household. It also teaches them how to calm their selves and communicate. I hope this little short article about how to calm my kid helps someone else. Thank you again for reading. If you like this article please check out my post Family Quality Time.